The Mitchell Center
Named in honor of alumnus and standout athlete Louis A. Mitchell '57, Denison's Mitchell Center is the centerpiece of Denison Big Red athletics. The expansive Mitchell Center houses Livingston Gymnasium, the
new Trumbull Aquatics Center, Mitchell Fieldhouse, the Crown Fitness Center, and Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse. Mr. Mitchell was the lead donor for both the original Mitchell indoor track construction which opened in 1994 and the most recent facility renovation and expansion that was completed in 2013.
Down the hall from the aquatics center and the indoor track, is the home of Denison basketball and volleyball, Livingston Gymnasium. The facility, which opened in 1949 and seats 1,500, underwent a major renovation in 2005, highlighted by new bleachers and chair-back seating. Over the years the venerable gym has played host to local high school tournaments, collegiate postseason contests, speakers, and musical acts. In 1966, Diana Ross and the Supremes performed in front of a packed house at Livingston Gym. The facility is named for alumnus and longtime athletic director, Walter J. Livingston, a 1905 Denison graduate.
The entire Mitchell Center renovation project was constructed according to the LEED standards, a national benchmark for sustainable design by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Named in honor of Robert J. Tomsich, the chief executive officer and president of NESCO, Inc., Tomsich Arena is the home playing site for the Lords and Ladies basketball teams, as well as the Ladies volleyball team. Located inside the Kenyon Athletic Center, the main athletic facility on campus, Tomsich Arena became the new home for the Lords and Ladies in 2006.
The name was carried over from the court's original location inside the Ernst Center, where it was dedicated in 1981. Tomsich Arena now holds approximately 1,600 fans and comes equipped with new scoreboards, media centers, scorers' table, and concession stand.